Saturday, February 14, 2009

Day 40: kicking sexual oppression in the balls

First, another sky-picture. I just loved the texture in the clouds. This is out in Sugarhouse, by the way; I was getting supplies for my sister's birthday present. Her birthday is February 13th.


So, I went to Goddess Circle, which is a local Pagan activity once per month put on by a local group, and there's a ritual for and information about a goddess once a month. It's cool. So this is the altar to Godiva:

Godiva, who is more like a culture-hero (like Fionn McCumhail (vaguely pronounced like 'Finn McCool') or Heracles) than an actual goddess (which is perfectly acceptable), was given the attributes of goddess of social justice and sexual freedom (she rode through town naked as a protest to her lord and husband's raising the taxes beyond the ability of the peasants' ability to pay), and just a lot of what they said about her made me think of Brighid (whose holy day was very recently), and so I was thinking about how they were very similar, especially in the areas of 'social justice and kicking sexual oppression in the balls'.
And I laughed at the thought, and knew that's what I had to call today in this blog.

What I want to know, though, is what happened next? The lord raised the taxes, Godiva told him she would ride through the town naked if he didn't lower them, and he didn't, so she rode through the town naked. Did he then lower them? I mean, it's not like she could have upped the ante; that was about the most shameful thing she could think of doing to him. So what happened?

2 comments:

  1. Okay, now you've got me wondering too. I just realized I know nothing of the actual history of Lady Godiva, just the silly song from the 60s and the stuff you hear all the time. Might be a cool research project. . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, I LOVE that first picture. Clouds are so amazing. And I'm curious too, I remember hearing that story, but never the ending. I thought she got killed or something because of her nudist statement. Hmm.

    ReplyDelete